A falling film absorber is basically a shell and tube heat exchanger. The gas to be absorbed and the absorbing fluid, flow concurrently downwards. The heat absorbing liquid flows in the shell in order to maintain isothermal process conditions for gas absorption which is normally an exothermic process.
- All parts in contact with process fluids are of glass or PTFE, and are completely resistant to corrosion
- Absorption takes place at very low mean temperature differences between process fluid and cooling fluid, is hence this is suitable for heat recovery in multi stage processes
- Residence time of liquid is very short in the system, avoiding super heating of the same. This makes it ideal for heat sensitive products
- Due to low pressure drops, these are also suitable for deep vacuum applications
- Uniform fluid distribution from top ensures intimate contact with gas and formation of thin liquid film on the inner surface of tubes. This laminar flaw of liquid allows high heat transfer coefficients, improving the efficiency of the unit
- Installation, maintenance and cleaning is easy due to simple yet robust design
The absorber is available in a wide range of sizes up to 600mm shell diameter resulting in a maximum gas absorption rate of approximately 2500Kg/hour. Customized systems with improved absorption rate can also be designed to meet the requirements of customer. It can be readily used for absorption of gases such as HCl, Cl2, SO2, NOX, HBr, etc.